1.04.2008

The truth comes out...

The Shrike. That's what she knew. He was a noble, a powerful man. But also seemed to be the opposite of what Miraye had told her. The man was extremely polite, and very elegant. His mannerisms were those of one who would have whatever he wanted on a whim. He had treated her kindly, even since learning of her alliance with Miraye and Matthias. He had complimented her while dancing, despite her lack of cosmetics and perfumes. Larkin the Shrike had so far proven himself to be much on the contrary of Miraye's description of him.

She opened her mouth yet again to speak, and then closed it, searching for the right words. The presence of the guards all throughout the room was more than nerve racking, especially as she knew they were all likely there on account of her specifically. The sight of the bloodied bandages around Larkin also caused her more than a pang of guilt and regret. She could have prevented it, had she just told him while they had danced. She could have stopped it. She shifted her eyes from her hands to his face and opened her mouth, this time to actually speak.

"Yes, I believe I do."

Larkin's eyes flashed something through them, and she flinched very slightly. He turned his eyes back on her from where he lie, and gave her a look of mild curiosity and interest.

"Really. Tell me then."

Stelon squirmed slightly under his gaze and forced herself to settle into the comfortable chair, taking a deep breath. She had turned her gaze from him as he responded to her, her nerves getting the better of her. Finally, she sat up straight and looked at him again.

"Well...from what I have gathered, you seem to be quite the opposite of how..."

She couldn't bring herself to say the name.

"She made you out to be. She told me many things...she said you were cruel. She told me you were a murderer! A man of no mercy or pity, no morality and above all, no kindness. But she lied! She lied to me, and I didn't know the truth. I would not have ever joined with her if I had known what I know now. You are a man of high power, and of elegance...You have been extremely polite and treated me with immense kindness, even after the ball, after I was revealed to you...I did not know she meant to harm you. I knew only that there was a boy she had met here, that she wanted to free him. And that was the reason I came, to free the boy. I apologize for my actions, m'lord. They would not have been taken had I known her stories were lies."

Stelon remained surprisingly calm after her answer to his question, though her fears and anxiousness were still quite visible in her eyes. She only hoped it would be enough to satisify the Shrike's questions.

No comments: